Configuring Provisioning for Zinc
This guide provides the steps required to configure Provisioning for Zinc and includes the following sections:
- Configuration Steps
- Known Issues / Trouble shooting
User and Group Administration is supported for the Zinc application.
This enables Okta to:
- Create user profiles in Zinc
- Update user profiles in Zinc
- Remove users from Zinc
- Add users to groups
- Create Groups in Zinc
- Remove Groups in Zinc
- Update Groups in Zinc
The following provisioning features are supported:
Push New Users
- New users created through OKTA will also be created in Zinc
Push Profile Updates
- Updates made to the user's profile through OKTA will be pushed to the third party application.
Push User Deactivation
- Deactivating the user or disabling the user's access to the application through OKTA will deactivate the user in Zinc organization.
- Note: For this application, deactivating a user means removing a user from the organization and all groups the user was a part of.
- User accounts can be reactivated in Zinc.
- Note: Reactivating a user in Zinc restores access to the application, but does not add them back to groups they were previously a part of.
- Groups and their members can be pushed to Zinc. For more about using group push operations see Using Group Push.
- Before moving users in and out of groups in OKTA, ensure that all provisioning rules are disabled to avoid deactivating a user from Zinc.
Before you are able to configure provisioning for Zinc, make sure you have added Zinc application and configured General Settings and any Sign-On Options for Zinc. See Zinc Okta Integration document for more information.
You must be in contact with the Zinc team to obtain your auth credentials you can use when you configure your API integration.
Configure your Provisioning settings for Zinc as follows:
- Access the Provisioning settings tab of your application
- Click Configure API Integration button
- Check the Enable provisioning features box.
- Select the environment you want to connect to - Depending on your API token, you can connect to Zinc Production or Sandbox environment.
- Enter your Zinc API token
- Click Test API Credentials button
7) Verify that you get notified that your token was verified successfully.
8) Save the settings
- Go to To 'To App' settings
- Click Edit button to enable the provisioning settings
- Enable the provisioning settings.
- Save the changes
You can now assign people and groups to the app in the assignments section (if needed) and finish the application setup.
Known Issues / Troubleshooting
I don’t have an API Token
Send your Zinc sales contact a message or email email@example.com and we’ll enable User and Group provisioning for your Zinc organization.
Error when testing API credentials
Your Zinc organization should be fully configured for OKTA API integration if you’ve obtained an API token from the Zinc team - However, If you see the following error when testing the credentials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll check that your organization is allowed to sync both, Users and Groups from your OKTA directory.
Can I update ‘email’ or ‘userName’ of synced users?
No - The email (‘userName’) is the unique identifier for users in Zinc, and cannot be updated after the user has been created in Zinc. If user’s unique identifier changes, its better to create a new User with a new email address and remove the old user from the app.
Can my users have a different ‘userName’ and ‘primary email’ stored in Zinc?
Zinc users are uniquely identified by email address, and we do not store a separate “username”, “email” or “primary email” on the Zinc side—its just a single value for all three. The SCIM username must be in an email format, and this value becomes both email and primary email in Zinc.
Can I update user’s ‘displayName’ in Zinc?
Zinc doesn’t store usernames, but will form a ‘displayName’ property using users first and last name. In order to update user’s "displayName" in the Zinc application, you must update users first or last name and the value of ‘displayName’ will be combined “name.firstName + name.lastName”
I’ve created new groups in the Zinc Admin Console - Why don’t they appear in OKTA?
If you click ‘Refresh App Groups' in the ‘Push Groups’ section, your application will only fetch a list of groups that have been created by the OKTA Directory itself.
Zinc API doesn’t let you import groups which have not been originally created by OKTA (or some other) directory integration. Same way, you’re not able to edit/delete a synced OKTA group from the Zinc Admin Console. All administrative operations for synced groups must be done in the OKTA directory.
I cannot edit my synced groups in the Zinc Admin Console
OKTA directory acts as the single source of truth for synced groups in Zinc. Zinc Admins cannot modify the group properties or member assignments in the Zinc Admin Console. All administrative operations for synced groups must be done in the OKTA directory.
However, If you wish to edit the group in the Zinc Admin, you can ‘unlink’ the group from the group settings.
Note: If you unlink a Group from your external directory, the Group will continue to remain intact in Zinc with its current Group members and administrators, but will no longer reflect the updates made to your external directory.
Once you unlink a Group from your external directory, the Zinc group cannot be re-linked to your external directory. In the future, if you wish to link to the same external directory entity again, a new Zinc group will be created.
You can find the 'unlink' button from the Group Settings view in Zinc Admin Console.
- Official Groups -> Group Settings -> Unlink
My deactivated user are not in Zinc application directory
Users in Zinc don’t have ‘deactivated’ state so if you deactivate a user in your directory, they will get removed from your Zinc organization, and they will get recreated when you activate them in your Directory / application again. Therefore a non active user in your OKTA Directory won’t show up in your Zinc Admin console.
I’ve removed a group from the OKTA directory but its still visible in Zinc
Zinc allows you to manage this behavior in the Zinc Admin console. Sometimes you may want to keep your conversation groups in Zinc after the group has been deleted from the Directory. You can always remove the groups in the Official Groups section of Zinc Admin console
How does Zinc Active Directory integration work?
You can find more information about Zinc product from our help site where help documents are frequently updated. Zinc Active Directory Integration has the most up to date information and is a good place to start.
Where can I find my Users in Zinc Admin Console?
You can find them in the Users section of the Admin Console.
What is my User's lifecycle in Zinc?
See Lifecycle of a User Added via External Directory for more information about the lifecycle of a synced user.
Where can I find my groups in Zinc Admin?
When the Directory syncs groups to Zinc, they will be automatically placed in to External Directory Groups folder in the Official Groups panel. You can change this destination folder in the Settings panel of the Admin Console - You can select any existing folder or the Root Level Folder.
What is my group's lifecycle in Zinc?
See Lifecycle of a Group Created via External Directory in the Zinc help site for more information.